Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Thirst

Thirst

Adult nonfiction
"It started in my arms and legs. The nerve endings would go
dead for twenty or thirty minutes, like I'd woken up on a limb that
had fallen asleep. Sometimes the fingers of my right hand lost
sensation, and then a prickly blanket of numbness would spread to my
wrist and up my arm. I could've banged on my hand with a hammer and
still felt nothing."
Scott Harrison, author of the memoir Thirst was quite an
unlikely candidate for social entrepreneur. Fed up with his
ultrastrict Christian upbringing, he moved to New York City and became
a club promoter. His life became a round of drugs, booze, and girls.
He had all the accoutrements of fast life success. But after a decade
the fast lane started to lose its allure, especially after the onset
of his mystery illness.
There had to be more to life. Perhaps volunteering?
Harrison became a volunteer photographer for a sailing hospital
ship. It was hard for him to realize that many of the desperately ill
people who thronged the selection site could not be helped. Then one
day he learned that universal clean drinking water could reduce
disease by half. And his passion was born. His life became a drive
to provide the fluid of life for as many people as possible. Thirst
tells the story of his quest, flaws, failures, and all.
If you've enjoyed clean water today, say in your morning coffee,
fresh from your tap or in a bottle you are privileged compared to
millions of people around the world. I know I am. How about investing
a few minutes of your time to read this captivating true story?
On a personal note, today is a very special day for the Hathaway
family. My older daughter, Amber, on track to become the first woman
in the family to get a PhD, is 29. We will celebrate on Saturday so
Katie and Jacob can come up from Thr Big City.
A great big shout out goes out to Amber with best wishes for a happy
birthday and many more!
jules hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment