Sunday, May 19, 2019

From Far Away

From Far Away

Picture book
From Far Away by Robert Munsch and Saoussan Askar is a wonderful
way to introduce young children to the challenges younger immigrants
face. Told from Saoussan's real life experience, it highlights
aspects youngsters might find confusing and scary.
Saoussan and her parents had to flee their war torn country when
a bomb made the roof of their home fall in. Her father left first and
earned money for plane tickets. In America he told her to listen to
her teacher. Only she had no idea what her teacher and classmates
were saying. In fact she didn't know enough English to ask permission
to go to the bathroom.
If this doesn't create empathy I don't know what will.
On a personal note, I can relate to that experience. In high school
one summer I was supposed to study abroad in England. Of course I
knew English. At the last minute I was switched to Mexico. I did not
know a word of Spanish. I was told that was fine. The older daughter
of the family I'd stay with was fluent in English and eager to
translate...
...Only she was away the night I arrived. I remember sitting in
a parlor where I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying and
wondering if they thought I was mentally deficient. Then my bladder
felt like it was going to burst. I drew a picture of a bathroom with
a question mark. Not my finest moment.
A great big shout out goes out to all who welcome strangers into their
midst and help them feel at home.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment