Friday, May 10, 2019

Home Front

Home Front

Adult fiction
"Only yesterday, I ended up sitting with a kid outside of one of
the hospital tents. He was young--no more than twenty-five--and I
knew he wasn't going to make it. I'm no doctor, and even now I can't
describe his wounds, they were too horrific. I knew, that's all.
Anyway I held his hand and listened to him talk, and mostly what he
kept saying was, 'tell my wife I love her.'...What would I say at the
end like that? Of course I'd be thinking about my children, whom I
love more than the world. But what about Michael..."
The above reflections are from the diary of Jolene Zarkades,
protagonist of Kristin Hannah's Home Front. She'd been in the Army
and Guard with her best friend, Tami Flynn, for much of their lives.
During the Guard phase they'd married, had children, and settled down
close to one another. Then came an unexpected deployment to Iraq.
Jolene's diary is the only place she can write about the reality of
her situation. In letters and emails to her family she feels she must
always be upbeat and reassuring.
Being the daughter of alcoholic parents had taught Jolene early
in life that she could count on nobody but herself. Her parents had
died in a drunk driving accident, leaving her alone in the world at
the age of 17. Before the deployment her own marriage had become
shaky. Husband Michael, overwhelmed by the loss of his father, is
spending more time at work and less time with his family. The night
she tries to tell him how disappointed their older daughter was when
he didn't make her track meet Michael informs Jolene that he doesn't
love her anymore...
...the next day she learns about the deployment. As weeks and
months go by nobody makes a move to reconcile. Needless to say, even
if Jolene had returned home in perfect health she and Michael would
have had plenty of challenges to face. However, she returns broken in
body and spirit.
Home Front is a must read for most adults. Unlike other wars,
say WWII when many homes had blue or gold stars, most of us no longer
have skin in the (war) game. Increasingly when war is declared it's
someone else sent out there. And they're sent out to a new kind of
war: one in which there is no front. An IED could be around the next
bend in the road. A cute little kid could have bombs strapped on him/
her. A day's duty could involve picking up the charred, mangled body
parts of beloved friends.
We have to care enough to do something. World leaders need to
hone and use their diplomacy skills. War must become a tragic last
response, not a routine reflex.
On a personal note, while we're on questions let's get the others out
of the way: one I've asked and two I've been asked.
1) Was it my fault? Was it something I did or failed to do?
According to Veazie Vet, no. Sadly older cats get cancer. I still
wondered, what if I'd noticed earlier. I don't think it would have
been much earlier. As he's a special needs cat, I watch carefully.
Even if I had, though, it wouldn't have mattered. Where he's not only
older, but multiple surgery scarred, I doubt they would have opted for
heroic measures. Plus regrets would potentially mar the time my
little friend and I have together. So no regrets.
2) How much longer? Is it weeks or months? I don't know. No one on
earth knows. I am doing my best to gain him as much precious time as
possible.
3) Will there be another cat in my life? This is asked by well
intentioned people who love me to cheer me up. (It's like after
miscarriages I was asked if I was going to try again.). Because they
are well intentioned I say, too soon to tell. What I feel like saying
is BAD QUESTION!!! Joey is a very uniquely precious cat, not a
generic thing that can be replaced. So if you ever have a loved one
in a similar situation THIS IS ONE QUESTION NOT TO ASK. You'll find
out eventually.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment