Sunday, May 19, 2019

The Hiding Game

The Hiding Game

Juvenile nonfiction
Gwen Strauss' The Hiding Game is one of the most unusual
Holocaust narratives I've ever read. It's the story of her great
uncle Daniel, a man who helped smuggle 2,200 people out of Nazi
controlled France and save 4,000 people by keeping them hidden and fed.
The story is told in the voice of a real child, Aube, who was
one of those smuggled out. In 1940 she and her parents had been
fleeing from place to place, hiding from the Nazis who had taken over
their country. That was when the family became part of the group at
the Villa Air-Bel. It was a seemingly magical place where art and
music helped keep fear at bay. On Sundays artists and writers would
visit. Of course all lived in fear of a raid. Even children had to
know where to hide. Then one day the police arrived.
Although the story line and illustrations would be fascinating
for children, there is a whole other layer of meaning for adults. The
list of residents and visitors is a who's who of writers and artists
of that time.
On a personal note, since Joey's diagnosis I've only snapped at one
other person. A guy said it was just another day. I said, "Don't
tell me that! There's no such thing." Then I explained that when your
beloved cat has cancer every good day is a blessing and a miracle. My
patience with myself, however is fraying. Today I almost put ketchup
instead of mayo on Eugene's cucumber sandwich. I'm getting so tired
of making dumb mistakes, misplacing things, and being paralyzed by the
simplest decisions. Do I have too many pairs of jeans feels like what
is the formula for world peace.
A great big shout goes out to all who are willing to put up with the
person I am right now.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment