Friday, May 10, 2019

Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing

Juvenile nonfiction
In the Hathaway home one of the surest signs spring is on the
way is Eugene taking measure of his fishing equipment, seeing what
must be mended or replaced. He learned how to fish from his dad and
taught our children. Much to his credit, he helped them release the
"fishies" they caught and did not have the heart to eat. He enjoys
driving through forests, stopping at likely looking forests to "drown
worms".
Fishing has a lot going for it. There's often intergenerational
bonding. There's a chance to have more of a connection with one's
food. A family or group of friends can get away from those ubiquitous
electronic devices. Kids who hunt and fish can grow up to be amazing
stewards and advocates for the natural world. Making sure the next
generation has the same opportunities and places they cherish is about
the most compelling motivation I can imagine.
Too few kids fish these days. Michael J. Rosen's Gone Fishing
may be just the right lure to get them hooked on a fascinating and
rewarding lifetime sport.
On a personal note, it is a grey, rainy day. Eugene has arisen at
some ungodly hour to go fishing. I have a theory. Even though Eugene
and the others really love hunting and fishing, I think those
"manly" (the brag pictures down to Old Town Trading post show
considerable gender equity) pursuits legitimize love of nature in a
space where some would consider it girly girl.
A great big shout out goes out to my prime catch: Eugene. He's the
baby daddy for all my kids, and we'll be celebrating our 30th in
July. At our wedding reception I'd announced that I'd bagged and
tagged (wedding ring) my deer!
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment