Monday, July 30, 2018

Silent Days, Silent Dreams

Silent Days, Silent Dreams

Picture book
Allan Say's Silent Days, Silent Dreams is one of those picture
books that will be of more interest to an older demographic than to
the story time set. In fact, it will resonate most with adults,
especially artists and teachers of children with disabilities. It's
the story of an enormously gifted boy who was unfortunately born
decades before the concept of free and appropriate public education
for children with disabilities.
James was deaf, mute, autistic, and probably dyslexic. Somehow
he taught himself to draw on scraps of paper his parents gave him.
School was a nightmare for him. On the farm he got in everybody's
way. A boarding school for the deaf decided he was ineducable.
But he persisted with his drawings--working with matchsticks and
soot mixed with water.
Despite all odds, his work was discovered before he died.
I think this fine book can tell us that even people with severe
disabilities can have hidden strengths.
On a personal note, this week I have serious work hours. I'm thinking
if August keeps up like this I may be able to afford not only tuition
and textbooks, but a trip to Portland to celebrate my birthday with
Katie, Jacob, and Archie cat. I've been so good this summer money
wise! One $46 round trip ticket isn't exactly splurging.
Most of my hours are at Wells. So, unlike most years, I don't mind
missing the Bangor State Fair. Who needs a fair when you can work for
Anna McDormand?
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment