Thursday, August 2, 2018

Zoo Scientists To The Rescue

Zoo Scientists To The Rescue

Juvenile nonfiction
I bet you've been to a zoo at least once. They're very popular
destinations, entertaining and educating over 181 million people a
year. Where else can you see animals who normally dwell half way
around the world? As readers learn in Patricia Mewman's Zoo
Scientists To The Rescue, they can be so much more.
"Zoos also give scientists an up close look at animals that are
difficult to observe in the wild. These scientists use their training
and a hefty dose of ingenuity to study the animals in their care.
What do these animals eat? How do they reproduce? Where do they fit
in their natural habitats? How do we preserve them in the wild? The
answers to those questions unlock those animals' secrets."
Zoo Scientists To The Rescue introduces readers to three of
these scientists and their fascinating work:
*Meredith Bastion who uses observations from seven years of field
study in Borneo to help the National Zoo better care for orangatangs
and educates people on the need to know where the palm oil in their
food comes from;
*Jeff Baugham who is helping black footed ferrets (vital in
maintaining prairie ecosystems) bounce back from near extinction (Can
you believe online dating is involved?);
and *Rachel Santymire who studies the hormones in rhinoceros feces to
help them breed.
As Zoo Scientists To The Rescue shows us, zoos can also spur
visitors to care more about the other sentient beings with whom we
share this planet and make consumer decisions that help them to
survive and propogate. The book gives interested kids steps they cam
take to make a difference and further resources they can investigate.
One of its aims is to inspire the next generation of animal
scientists...
...an admirable goal in which it should succeed if school and
public libraries on their must acquire lists.
On a personal note, we're already into August. Yikes! I feel like
there's so much I have to do before school starts. To be fair some of
it is want tos. I'll live if I don't try at least one publisher or
get more done on my book manuscripts or get a check up. I have enough
reviews and opinion piece for the Bangor Daily stockpiled for the
school year. But I have to get glasses so I can read power points. I
don't know the first thing about getting glasses. I have to find a
friend to go with me. A friend with a car. The buses here add hours
to the simplest of errands. I wish we had a subway like Boston. And
I have to get the tablet (of the computer, not pill sort) Amber and
Brian gave me connected to Internet and printer and learn so much
about how to use it. My grad program is feeling exciting and scary at
the same time. I hope I don't screw up.
A great big shout out goes out to my friend Matt Stone. He is the
kind of journalist we need more of. While too many of his peers go
after the hot, sexy stuff, he follows paper trails and policies and
finances to create stories that tell us what we really need to know
like how the state is not hiring the public health nurses they were
ordered to and how DHHS's cover your ass priorities are breaking up
viable families and putting a lot of kids in far from good
situations. When there's something bad going on in Augusta who ya
gonna call? Super Geek!
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment