Saturday, August 25, 2018

Nasty Women

Nasty Women

Adult nonfiction
"The 2016 election wasn't just a loss for Clinton, it was a loss
for feminism. Not only did the first female candidate from either
major party lose, she lost to an open misogynist--someone who called a
former Latina beauty queen fat and was caught on the record bragging
about grabbing women by the pussy..."
I woke up the morning after the 2016 presidential election
dismayed--OK, terrified--and far from convinced that President
Pennywise was going to make America great, especially for the folks
who aren't filthy rich, white, CIS, straight, conservative males. I
was overwhelmed by the knowledge of how much bad he can do--to the
point where my brain felt like a hamper of yarn cats had partied in.
With the constant barrage of conflict and crisis coming out of
the White House, time did not do a lot to straighten out my mind. So
I was very grateful to discover Nasty Women: Feminism, Resistance,
And Revolution in Trump's America. This anthology of 23 pieces by
feminist and intersectionality writers shines much needed light on the
many facets of the situation. Among them you will find:
*Is There Ever A Right Time To Talk To Your Children About Fascism?
The grandchild of a Holocaust survivor, Kera Bolonik, ponders on how
best to talk to her adopted black son about the racist world he's in;
*Beyond The Pussy Hats. Katha Pollitt reminds us how precarious
abortion rights are and tells us what we need to do to not return to a
time when pregnancy termination was done by back alley butchers and
coat hangers;
*Farewell To Meritocrocy. Jamia Wilson shows how much the deck is
stacked in favor of the already rich and powerful.
I would recommend this reasonably priced paperback to everyone
who wants America to truly become a nation with liberty and justice
for all. It's a must acquire for public and college libraries.
On a personal note, work was really good this week. I was working
suppers, mostly serving. Thursday night I had a wonderful surprise.
I was given my fifteen minute supper break in the middle of a rush. I
wanted the steak tips. Common sense said get pizza or salad; by the
time you get them you won't be able to eat them. But I really wanted
the steak tips. I went to the end of the line of football players.
Only the one right in front of me told his teammates to make me a
place at the front so I wouldn't have to wait, the guy who was just
about to be served stepped aside and invited me to come get my supper,
and the rest of the guys smiled and nodded their approval. So I was
able to enjoy not only my steak and potatoes, but also strawberry
shortcake and strawberry ice cream with sprinkles. That kindness
totally made my week.
A great big shout out goes out to the UMaine Black Bears football
team! They are the cat's pajamas!
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment