Saturday, August 25, 2018

Fight Like A Girl

Fight Like A Girl

YA/adult nonfiction
"...In this book I want to reclaim the idea of fighting like a
girl--a phrase that is usually meant to suggest that those who fight
like girls, as opposed to fighting like men, don't really know how to
fight and that their struggle is not real, not intense, not
legitimate--just hair pulling and nail scratching. I know how to
fight, and I know plenty of women whose struggles are all too real,
all too harrowing, all too dangerous. I'm here to say that not only
can we fight like girls; we can win."
The title of Megan Seely's Fight Like A Girl brings back a
memory. I was in fifth grade, one of the smallest class members. Our
class bully, who had stayed back a few times, started a lunch recess
practice of chasing down and beating up a girl each day. Teachers did
nothing. Recess was unsupervised. One day he picked on the wrong
girl, me, and ended up pinned to the ground, blood spurting out of his
nose. His recess practice ended.
Fight Like A Girl: How To Be A Fearless Feminist is a grow with
book. It packs in all the basics for a newly declared feminist to
feel grounded. There are detailed instructions for conducting and
publicizing all kinds of actions. There's also a wealth of resources
for the more experienced members of the tribe.
My only problem with the book is the breaking down of feminists
into first, second, and third wave. I dislike stereotyping on the
basis of something as superficial as age. Chronologically is the only
way I'm second wave. Mentally I'm relating to my kids' generation's
ideas and enthusiasm. A non binary world? Yes! Intersectionality?
He'll, yes! Let's leave waves for oceans. And, while we're at it,
let's not automatically follow gender fluid or nonconforming with
youth. I'm proud to be two spirit.
On a personal note, I am sad to announce that my friend Lauren, who
has run Wilson Center so capably, is moving across the country. She
will be very much missed here. But I'm excited for the opportunities
I know she'll discover in California. I'll miss Wilson Center too.
I'm not moving anywhere. But balancing grad school, work, and home
and family requires me at least temporarily giving up just about
everything else.
A great big shout out and best wishes go out to Lauren. Being part of
her life even for a short time has been a real privilege.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment