Sunday, July 22, 2018

Rain School

Rain School

Picture book
In America we take so much in our schools for granted. We
forget that things like school lunches, textbooks, indoor plumbing,
and even running water and electricity are unavailable to so many
students and teachers around the world. James Rumford's Rain School
is a real eye opener.
In Chad, a country in Africa, it's the first day of school.
Thomas is excited to be joining the big brothers and sisters. He is
in for a surprise. The first task awaiting the students and teacher
is making mud bricks and building themselves a school. Because of the
rainy season this must be done each and every year.
I think Rain School is a good addition to school and public
libraries. It can start kids and parents thinking about what exactly
is a school.
On a personal note, I hit a very special point this week. I passed
the half way point toward this semester's tuition. It's in the credit
union. Of course I've put every cent of my paychecks in. There's
also money from collecting bottles and cans and cashing them in. And
I'm in the process of depositing $224 in quarters. I'd been saving
quarters in a lovely UMaine Black Bear bank that I got in the thrift
shop for a dollar for two years just to see how much it would hold.
I've got a little less than a month to get the rest together on time.
To paraphrase Bob the Builder: Can I make it? YES, I CAN!!!
A great big shout out goes out to Anna McDormand who hired me. If she
hadn't there's no way I'd be in such good fiscal shape. I'm doing my
best to make sure she never has a reason to regret that decision.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment