Sunday, July 8, 2018

All The Way To America

All The Way To America

Juvenile biography
When we think of objects passed down through generations, we
tend to imagine fancy items like jewelery and paintings. In Dan
Yaccarino's biographical All The Way To America, we learn how a much
more humble object can help bind generations together.
Growing up in a farming family in Italy, Dan's great grandfather
did what he could to help. Times were tough. As a young man he
immigrated to the United States, taking with him a little shovel his
father gave him. In America he found work in a bakery where he used
the shovel to measure ingredients. He passed it on to his son who
opened a market...
...Dan is the current shovel holder. He uses it to garden with
his children.
This sweet, touching story may provide the perfect opportunity
for a parent or grand to tell children about special family treasures.
On a personal note, Friday Eugene and I enjoyed an adult snow day, or,
more accurately, rain day. His work got rained out. It happens now
and then in construction. And I actually had a free day. We got a
bunch of errands done. He totally spoiled me. At the grocery store
he got cherries, banana split ice cream, and caramel M&Ms. And at
Goodwill he bought me 2 cards of jingle balls for Joey cat and not
one, but TWO CAT SHIRTS, even though he thinks (probably correctly)
that I'm obsessed with cat shirts). I can't wait to wear them. Only
today I'm wearing a dress to church. We're trying something new.
Instead of having someone sing, I'm going to read one of my poems,
L'Chaim, during the service. I've read poetry in other venues, but in
a church service is a new one for me.
A great big shout out goes out to the hubby with whom I will celebrate
our 29th anniversary on the 29th. You can help us celebrate. That
day do something nice for or say something kind to another person.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment