Friday, July 6, 2018

Silent Music

Silent Music

Picture book
"One frightening night in the year 2003, as bombs and missiles
fell on my city, and death and destruction once again filled the
streets, I, like Yakut, wrote.
I wrote all night and the many nights of bombing that followed.
I filled my room with pages of calligraphy. I filled my mind with
peace."
Imagine living in the above described situation. It would be
horrific enough for an adult. It's reality for Ali, narrator of James
Rumford's Silent Music, a soccer loving boy growing up in Baghdad.
Luckily he is able to create himself an island of calm in the midst of
chaos by practicing an art form that's a really important part of
Islamic culture.
In Silent Music you'll learn not only about Ali, but about his
real life hero, Yakut, one of the greatest calligraphers who practiced
his art form in war torn Baghdad 800 years earlier. This fine book is
a must acquire for primary school and public libraries.
On a personal note, I had a really good 4th of July. Eugene and I
went to the barbeque at the in-laws. Amber, Brian, Adam, and Asia
went also. It was great to see them. The food was really good too.
In the evening we went to the fireworks in Brewer. We got there two
hours early to get a good spot. There was hot jazz playing and a
lovely breeze coming off the river. Of course I had a good book to
read. Before the official fireworks there were some smaller pretty
ones people set off and scads of sparklers and Mother Nature's lovely
sunset. The fireworks were spectacular!!!
I wish the in-laws would call me Jules instead of my middle name.
Every time they say it it's like fingernails on a chalk board. I've
explained that politely using I statements. They aren't stupid. At
UMaine we use people's preferred names and pronouns. It isn't all
that hard and it shows respect for the people around you.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment