Monday, July 16, 2018

The Stars Beneath Our Feet

The Stars Beneath Our Feet

YA fiction
"What I couldn't get out of my skull was the thought of their
rough, grimy hands all over my clean sneaks. What I couldn't get out
of my heart was the joy-grabbing stone I felt there. Partly because
of the two thugs following me now, but more because I knew Jermaine
wouldn't be here to protect my neck this time.
He would never, ever be coming home."
Lolly (Wallace), narrator of David Barclay Moore's The Stars
Beneath Our Feet, has lost his only brother, Jermaine, to gang
violence. He's decided nothing will ever make him feel Christmassy
again. He vaccilates between sadness and anger. He knows something
the people in his life don't: right before his brother was killed
he'd done something that made Jermaine angry.
Complicating matters, Lolly and his best friend, Vega, have hit
the age where they've become attractive to the local gangs as
potential members. Vega's cousin, Frito, is making it hard for the
boys to not join up. Vega thinks a gang would protect them from
Two bullies who hurt them whenever they can.
Lolly is conflicted.
There is one bright spot in Lolly's life. Yvonne, his mother's
girlfriend, has given him two garbage bags full of Legos.
"I was so stunned I couldn't say nothing. I knelt down and
poured my hands through the mountain of plastic pieces on our floor.
This mountain was even bigger than the one I had made last night when
I yanked apart all my Lego kits."
Building a creation that outgrows his room and then his family
living room becomes the only time Lolly feels at peace. Could it
point the way toward a gangless future?
Legos bring back fond memories. My kids loved them. I couldn't
afford the fancy kits they sold up to the Bangor Mall. But I scoured
thrift shops. Amber and Katie did really well in the Lego League
competitions. I was so proud watching their team compete.
On a personal note, I had a wonderful weekend. Saturday I was at the
community garden weeding and watering. I found over $4 worth of
bottles and cans in one dumpster. :) Sunday I went to church.
A great big shout out goes out to my community garden and church
families.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment