Sunday, July 8, 2018

The World Is Not A Rectangle

The World Is Not A Rectangle

Juvenile Herstory
I've just discovered an awesome new shero. You can read about
her in Jeanette Winters' The World Is Not A Rectangle.
Growing up in Iraq, Zaha Hadid found beauty and inspiration in
nature and ancient ruins. She designed her own clothes and excelled
in math. She became an architect and opened her office. Her designs
for buildings were much more graceful and fluid than ordinary
structures.
There was one problem. Builders didn't want to tackle her
designs.
Zaha did not give up. One by one her designs were brought to
life. She won numerous prizes and honors including the most
prestigious architecture award in the world.
Winter wrote, "When I first saw photos of Zaha Hadid's
architectural designs in 2010, the buildings seemed to fly. My spirit
also took flight--to a place in my imagination that only landscape had
taken me before. I had to find out more about her."
My spirit took flight when I read the book. Maybe yours will too.
On a personal note, I've been adjusting my schedule for when I start
grad school. Realistically I won't have time for much else than
school, work, and house and cat care. I've quit Peace & Justice
Center Steering Committee. I've arranged to library volunteer only on
vacations. Ironically being in school will mean much less reading and
writing time. For months now I have been stockpiling reviews so I'll
have content to post when I don't have time to create it. Beginning
in September I am going to post once a week instead of every other
day. But now and then I'll post two or more short reviews like I'll
do today. My intent is to keep my blog up while getting my education
underway.
A great big shout out goes out to you, my readers, who make this
endeavor so rewarding.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment