Sunday, July 22, 2018

Back story: I realize this might make the personal note in my last post more understandable. My undergrad college was so small we had one cafeteria. I had a dining services student job my first year. The school heavily promoted men's sports while hardly mentioning women's. Early on I noticed a locked booth in the cafeteria. A supervisor told me it was a PA system for the cafeteria which no one used. The next supper I didn't work I asked for the key and got it no questions asked. I made an enthusiastic promotion of the women's teams next events. I didn't get in trouble. People (including admin) wanted me to keep it up. My economics prof had me do stand ups at the beginning of class. My nickname was Big E and women's teams would chant "Win one for the Big E" I kid you not. One field hockey player scored 4 goals on my birthday. Spring of my first year I went in the cafeteria and saw posters telling people to vote for me for class president. I was sure I was in trouble because I hadn't collected signatures. The softball team had. I won the election. I ended up being the only candidate. One rival dropped out and campaigned for me because she thought I'd do a better job. Again I kid you not. When we learned the news she came over to take me to the Snack Shack to celebrate and find out how she could help me. Sorry if that's lengthy for a back story.

Back story: I realize this might make the personal note in my last
post more understandable. My undergrad college was so small we had
one cafeteria. I had a dining services student job my first year.
The school heavily promoted men's sports while hardly mentioning
women's. Early on I noticed a locked booth in the cafeteria. A
supervisor told me it was a PA system for the cafeteria which no one
used. The next supper I didn't work I asked for the key and got it no
questions asked. I made an enthusiastic promotion of the women's
teams next events. I didn't get in trouble. People (including admin)
wanted me to keep it up. My economics prof had me do stand ups at the
beginning of class. My nickname was Big E and women's teams would
chant "Win one for the Big E" I kid you not. One field hockey player
scored 4 goals on my birthday. Spring of my first year I went in the
cafeteria and saw posters telling people to vote for me for class
president. I was sure I was in trouble because I hadn't collected
signatures. The softball team had. I won the election. I ended up
being the only candidate. One rival dropped out and campaigned for me
because she thought I'd do a better job. Again I kid you not. When
we learned the news she came over to take me to the Snack Shack to
celebrate and find out how she could help me. Sorry if that's lengthy
for a back story.


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment