Monday, July 30, 2018

Before She Was Harriet

Before She Was Harriet

Juvenile herstory
Normally, whether thinking of famous people or distant
relatives, we picture them as their oldest selves and find it hard to
imagine younger incarnations. I knew my mother's aunts as proper,
feeble ladies until I saw the house where they grew up. That is why
the unusual format of Lisa Cline Ransome's Before She Was Harriet
works so well.
Younger readers/listeners first meet Tubman at the end of her
life. A series of befores shows her as a suffragist, a Union spy, an
underground railroad conductor...all the way back to a little girl
named Araminta.
The poetry narrative sings. I especially like:
"a wisp of a woman
with the courage
of a lion."
Illustrations beautifully complement the text.
I consider this fine book to be a must acquire for school and
public libraries.
On a personal note, Eugene and I had a fine 29th anniversary Sunday.
We went riding, stopping at yard sales and Goodwill. He got me a cat
shirt. We ate lunch at Mickey D's. Fun times! The night before
someone in the neighborhood had a beautiful fireworks display. Talk
about great timing!
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene with whom I want to spend
many more years.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment