Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Henry's Freedom Box

Henry's Freedom Box

Picture book
"Henry and his brothers and sisters lived in the big house where
the master lived. Henry's master had been good to Henry and his family.
But Henry's mother knew things could change. 'Do you see those
leaves blowing in the wind? They are torn from the trees like slave
children are torn from their families.'"
Sadly Henry's mother was prescient. Ellen Levine's Henry's
Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad shares his
poignant narrative.
Henry had to leave his family when his ailing master bequeathed
him to his son. In those days that often meant permanent separation.
He worked in his new master's factory. Eventually he fell in love.
He and his love, Nancy, were able to live together by consent of their
two masters. They had three beautiful children.
Nancy's owner was having financial difficulties. So like many
other slave holders in similar situations, he sold off some of his
"property".
Alone and desolate, Henry was desperate to be free. He came up
with a plan to ship himself in a box to a free state, a perilous
journey of hundreds of miles with severe penalties if we was captured.
On a personal note, I had a wonderful Easter. I did cut church. I
was so elated from the drag show it was past midnight when I fell
asleep. Sun rise was a tad too early to rise and shine. What I loved
was my rare, precious opportunity to spend time with my three children
at the family get together. That made my day, my week, my month!!!
A great big shout out goes out to the three best grown kids a mother
could love: Amber, Katie, and Adam.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment