Saturday, October 1, 2016

Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns

Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns

Picture book
Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors is a
newer book by Hena Khan. Like her Night of the Moon, it introduces
concepts from Islam to young readers/listeners within the context of a
beautifully illustrated picture book. Each two page spread covers one
facet of this ancient and fascinating religion and its cultural
practices.
A girl writes with an ink pen. An alert observer will see that
she is writing from right to left rather than left to right as we do.
The opposite page shows her work.
"Black is the ink
I use to draw
the Arabic letters
that spell Allah."
The essence of Islam is monotheism. There is only one God, Allah.
A girl looks admiringly at a pair of intricately decorated hands.
"Orange is the color of my henna designs.
They cover my hands in leafy vines."
This is a very beautiful and intimate girls' and womens' custom. I
have had my hands done by Muslim friends. If you ever get the
opportunity to experience this do not pass it up.
Although this is a picture book, it can be used in deeper ways
than read alouds. Parents and older children can seek out more
information on aspects of Islam they find in intriguing. Children who
practice other religions, say Christianity or Judaism, can be
encouraged to write and illustrate their own color books. I think
I'll pass the idea on to some Sunday school teachers.
On a personal note, our latest Wilson Center Wednesday was a very
reflective evening. We talked in small groups about various aspects
of dealing with change. Discussion was spirited and thoughtful.
A great big shout out goes out to my Wilson Center family.
jules hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment