Saturday, June 8, 2013

Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck

One of my most enchanted recent literary experiences was reading
Brian Selznick's Wonderstruck, curled up in my favorite chair with my
dear purring lap cat and an ample supply of candy. You know I have a
strong fondness for well done blending of words and illustrations in
books for folks beyond primary school. I had found a masterpiece.
You might say I was wonderstruck.
The protagonists, Ben and Rose, are separated by half a century
but united by a quest. In 1977 Ben has just lost his mother, the only
parent he ever knew, and has moved in with relatives he isn't all that
comfortable with. In his mother's possessions he finds what might be
a clue to his father's identity. He sets out from his Minnesota home
to a book store in New York. In 1927 Rose feels trapped. She's
deaf. Her grim looking father and tutor are working to teach her to
lip read and speak. She longs to be in New York with her famous
actress mother.
Their stories alternate in an intriguing way. Ben's chapters
are in words. Rose's are in pictures--beautifully detailed, evocative
pictures. As they go about their quests to find a place to belong,
another element becomes clear. Somehow their destinies are linked
together.
On a personal note, today my family and friends have been celebrating
the 10th birthday of our precious Joey Cat. He got tuna and lots of
attention.
A great big shout out goes out to Joey and all the other feline
friends who add so much to our lives.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment