Friday, June 28, 2013

Knit Your Bit

Knit Your Bit

Picture book
Does it seem like knitting is touted as a girls' only activity?
Chicks with sticks? This bias is nothing new. Back when I was
fourteen, taking up the needles for the first time, I couldn't imagine
what life would have been like for a boy my age who pursued the same
hobby. However, this prejudice hasn't held true for all times and
places. Deborah Hopkinson's Knit Your Bit: A World War I Story
beautifully portrays one exception to the rule.
Mikey wants to be a soldier like his father who has been sent
overseas. At home his mother and sister start knitting clothes for
the military. He rejects their invitation to join them. He wants to
do something important. Anyway knitting is for girls.
At school Mikey and his classmates learn about the Central Park
Knitting Bee--a three day event with prizes. His teacher says it will
be nice if one of her students wins a prize. Mikey and the other boys
make fun of the whole thing until a clever girl knows just what
buttons to push. At first it's all about winning. Then a spldier who
has lost a leg puts things in a whole different perspective.
In 1917 the United States joined World War I. When the Red
Cross detected a lack of warm garments for soldiers, it issued a
civilian challenge. Women and men took it up, wielding needles
everywhere. There were knitting bees and clubs. In 1918 there was a
Central Park Knitting Bee that raised $4000. Since the entry fee was
fifty cents, that must have been quite a crowd! One woman made a
whole sweater in six hours. Holy Hannah!
This is a wonderful read aloud that can be the start to much
fruitful conversation. I especially like the photographs on the end
papers. They would make great writing prompts.
On a personal note, I have been giving knitted and crocheted objects
since I wowed my mom with hand made slippers. Last Christmas close
friends loved the scarves I gave them. It's a very relaxing hobbie
that can help show the precious people in your life how much you
care. It's also a way to help a wide variety of good causes.
A great big shout out goes out to my incredibly talented yarn artist
buddy Leah!
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment