Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Little Felted Animals

Little Felted Animals

Do you find whimsical miniatures irristable? Are you a big
imagination, small finance crafter? If so, you will find Marie Noelle
Horvath's little felted animals to be a treasure and source of
inspiration.
The animals are ever so precious! A cat peers through a glass
aquarium bowl at a goldfish close to its size. A trio of jaunty
penguins and a polar bear explore a bathroom. A bear plays with a
ball of yarn. There are 16 critters in all, enough to create a whole
tiny menagerie.
These beautiful little creatures are formed by felting, a
technique of jabbing small amounts of woolen fiber with needles of
various sizes at different depths and angles. Basically you need
little more than fiber, needles, felting pads, and glass eyes for
finishing touches.
Quite fortunately I did not post this review when I wrote it.
In the interim I discovered Fleece Dogs by SINCO (pen name of author,
not infomercial spouting company). This is along similar lines but
strongly into specificity of breed. Several are juxtaposed with live
animals. The resemblance is uncanny. Fur from a companion animal can
be added in to truly individualize the animal. Beautifully done.
Purrhaps as an encore SINCO could come up with a volume for us
cat lovers?
I've put this on my must learn list. I invite you to. My sense
is this is the kind of craft you can enter into in a child like spirit
of confidence. What you make will be good.
On a personal note, in deference to summer's increased heat and
humidity, I've switched to small light easy travel crafts. Right now
it's cross stitched Christmas ornaments (I was able to snag a whole
bag of kits for only 99 cents at Goodwill last winter) and eyelash
scarves.
A great big shout out goes out to my fellow crafts enthusiasts,
especially my daughter, Amber, who posts a new idea in her blog every
week, Ardeana Hamlin who covers the crafts scene for the Bangor Daily
News with the intimacy of a coffee clatch chum, Mary Bird who runs
Fiber Friends and has a wealth of information of the relation of
domestic arts to women's lives in years and Leah, queen of the crochet
hook. Also to Pastor Steve who understands that a craft in hand
enhances my ability to focus in Sunday school and church.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment