Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sticker Magic

Sticker Magic

In 1983 I converted a small unwritten in journal into a sticker
book. The first section is from my pre mom days. It's mostly teddy
bears, some fuzzy. Can you believe thirty-year-old scratch and sniffs
still work? The big middle section is where my daughters took over.
The selection is more eclectic. Some are hand colored. It evokes
such precious memories. There are pages left for the grandkids some
day. Yep, stickers are magic. No doubt about that.
I'd used stickers in little ways: to make cards and posters, as
little treats for my kids. I'd had no clue how much one can do with
them until one day I found a big, beautiful volume: Mrs. Grossman's
Sticker Magic by Andrea Grossman and Leslie Conron Carola. It
contains an amazing array of crafts that can incorporate stickers:
luggage tags, photo albums, boxes, picture frames, recipe cards,
bookmarks, matchbooks, Christmas ornaments, puppets, magnets, and an
amazing variety of cards, some which feature pop outs. Techniques
range from simple to sophisticated. Pictures are oh so sweet and
cunning. The sticker worlds at the end are enchanting.
Some people might see the book as clever advertising for a
certain brand of sticker. It doesn't bother me. I see it as a
stimulus for creativity and imagination. In my mind following its
ideas and adding your own unique touches is far better than
outsourcing your thoughts and feelings to corporate giant Hallmark.
On a personal note, well I voted for myself for a three year term on
school board. Based on what I saw at the town office I'd say there's
a pretty good chance of reelection. Not gonna take it for granted,
but not gonna stress out either. I'll let you know when I learn.
A great big shout out goes out to the voters in lots of Maine towns
who aren't letting the weather prevent them from getting out to vote.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment