Friday, July 5, 2019

Shaking Things Up

Shaking Things Up

Juvenile herstory
Susan Hood's Shaking Things Up brings younger readers and
listeners the stories of fourteen fascinating sheroes in poetry and
prose. They can read about:
*Molly Williams, America's first female fire fighter;
*Annette Kellerman, a champion swimmer who cut bathing suits down to
the "obscene" modern one piece;
and *Jacqueline and Eileen Neare, WWII secret agent sisters.
Thirteen woman artists created the illustrations, making Shaking
Things Up a treasure to savor rather than flip through.
On a personal note, I achieved a body positivity milestone. I wore a
two piece bathing suit in public (yes, outside my house counts) for
the first time in almost a quarter of a century.
Now I need to wear a bathing suit swimming. I haven't gone swimming
since 2013. I used to take the kids to Dakin Pool a lot. I miss
swimming. At this point it's logistics. If I could drive I'd call a
friend and say, let's go swimming. But adding in all the bus time and
swimming myself while hearing other people talking and laughing would
feel too sad for words. People who can drive are so damn lucky.
A great big shout out goes out to the best little cat in the world who
makes reading even more wonderful.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment