Wednesday, July 10, 2019

I Am Nujood, Age 10 And Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 And Divorced

Adult nonfiction
Yes, you read that right. This memoir by Nujood Ali concerns
her arranged marriage at ten. Her father had lost his job. Her
mother is running out of possessions to sell. There has been some
kind of scandal involving her sisters. When a man from his former
village tells her father that he wishes to unite their two families in
marriage he offers him Nujood.
Nujood must leave school. The males of the two families get to
draw up the details of the marriage contract and set the dowry.
Females, including the bride, have no say in the matter. The wedding
"celebration" is an occasion of sorrow rather than joy.
"...I didn't want to leave my family. I didn't feel prepared. I
already missed school painfully, and Malek [her best friend] even
more. Catching sight of my little sister Haifa's sad face during the
celebration, I realized with a pang that I would miss her as well. I
felt a sudden rush of fear. What if she, too, were condemned to
suffer my fate?"
Nujood meets her husband for the first time when he arrives to
take her to his home. Her mother-in-law obviously dislikes her. Her
new husband rapes her nightly and then begins to beat her. Her mother
and sister-in-law keep her constantly working and don't let her play
with neighborhood children.
When Nujood has a chance to visit her family, her parents say
she must stay with her husband. It's a matter of honor. Her father's
second wife, however, tells her she must go to court and seek a divorce.
This book is a must read for feminists and allies.
On a personal note, when I read the book I was horrified. I hope you
read it and become enraged.
A great big shout out goes out to all who work to end this terrible
custom of child marriage which BTW happens in the United States as
well as other countries.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment