Thursday, July 25, 2019

Rising Out Of Hatred

Rising Out Of Hatred

YA/adult nonfiction
"No family had done more to help white nationalism bully its way
back into mainstream politics, and Derek was the next step in that
evolution. He was precocious, thoughtful, and polite, sometimes
delivering hand written thank you notes to conference volunteers. He
never used racist slurs. He didn't advocate for outright violence or
breaking the law. His core beliefs were those of most white
nationalists: that America would be better off as a whites-only
country, and that all minorities should eventually be forced to
leave..."
Derek Black, portrayed in Eli Saslow's Rising Out Of Hatred, was
the heir apparant to a legacy of white nationalism. His father, Don,
was the founder of Stormfront, a leading racist online community. His
godfather was none other than David Duke of KKK fame. He'd been
pulled out of third grade to be unschooled by his very insular
community. By the time he started college he had his own radio show.
"...As Derek explained it to his listeners, white nationalists
were not fighting against minority rights, but for rights of their
own. As the white population in the United States continued to drop,
Derek and other activists were 'simply trying to protect and preserve
an endangered heritage and culture,' he said. They were trying to
save whites from an 'inevitable genocide by mass immigration and
forced assimilation.' Theirs was the righteous cause. They were the
social justice warriors..."
Derek's parents agreed to pay his college tuition. His degree
would bring academic cred to the movement. When he chose a liberal
college they weren't worried. After all, none of those "little
commies" would get to him. If anything, he'd get some of them to see
the light. Many of his classmates just wanted him out of there when
they learned his identity. But a few wanted to understand him and
help him see the error of his beliefs...
...and you'll have to read the book to see what happens.
On a personal note, I had myself a really sweet adventure. Thursday I
decided I'd better take the buses to Hannaford to get ingredients for
the 30th wedding anniversary supper I plan to make for Eugene and more
baby food for Joey cat. I was so not in the mood to spend four hours
on a simple errand that would take less than half the time if I could
drive. I was channeling my inner grumpy cat. Things started looking
up at Goodwill where I found a picture of a sad brown horse labelled
you and a pole dancing unicorn with rainbow mane and tail labelled
me. Two perfect for words. Then at Hannaford the sun burst out. My
library friend Peggy and I were talking. She handed me a slip of
paper that was her store credit for the returnables she's cashed in.
I could use it toward the cost of my food. I got $20 worth of food
for $6. That felt AMAZING!!! Where we've had to replace the truck
and washing machine recently, Eugene and I aren't exactly anywhere
near affluent.
A great big shout out goes out to Peggy for her kindness and generosity.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment