Saturday, July 6, 2019

Drum Dream Girl

Drum Dream Girl

Picture book
Can you believe that not so long ago in Cuba girls and women
weren't allowed to play drums? Milla Castro Zaldarriega couldn't
accept that restriction. At ten she played drums in an all girl
band. At fifteen she played for President Roosevelt's birthday, much
to his wife's delight.
Milla's life story inspired Margarita Engle to write Drum Dream
Girl. It tells the story, in verse, of a girl who dreams of
drumming. She can hear music in the everyday sounds like woodpeckers
pecking and heartbeats. But she has to keep her passion to herself
because it's forbidden...
...until one day she finds a music teacher who is on her side.
On a personal note, Eugene has gone to camp. I'm glad he's getting
the chance to. It's his favorite place to chill. He invited me to
come with him. I just couldn't. I don't have the heart to leave Joey
who, after giving a lifetime of loyalty and love, needs me the most.
I'd have a really hard time forgiving myself if I left him for so long
and came back to find him gone. I was in DC protesting the war when
Sapphire, my little Siamese, died. But Sapphire was only three with
no red flags. With Joey we have been warned.
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who very much loves Joey and
spends hard earned money paying for all he needs including two
operations that went well into the four figures with no guarantees of
success. He just wanted me to have some fun. I'm sure he knew it
wasn't just the heat that kept me from sleeping more than 3 1/3 hours
last night.
Rhetorical question: Why are human relationships so damn complicated?
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment