Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The End Of White Christian America

The End Of White Christian America

Adult nonfiction
"For most of the twentieth century, in White Christian America,
the terms 'Christian' and Protestant were virtually synonymous.
Questions like 'And where do you go to church?' felt appropriate in
casual interactions or even business exchanges. White Christian
America was a place where few gave a second thought to saying 'Merry
Christmas' to strangers on the street..."
With the "righteous" right evangelicals making their presence
felt whenever an issue that pushes their buttons--gay marriage,
transgender rights, Black Lives Matter--arises, it can seem like White
Christian America is still a force to be reckoned with. At the end of
White Christian America Robert Jones shows readers this isn't the
case. Despite a resurgence of the "moral majority" during Reagan's
presidency, it's on life support and fading fast.
So why is this once powerful institution on its way out? Let's
start with demographics. Within decades America will no longer be
majority white nation. Then there's the rise of religious
disaffeliation. Many younger adults claim no religious identity.
Finally, White Christian America is out of step with an increasingly
diverse America.
If religion is a concern in your life this is a good book to read.
On a personal note, Saturday night was Artsapalooza. For the time
this was a mixed experience for me. I did enjoy performing. I gave
my all iny interactive style and had a very engaged, enthused
audience. But I had my smallest audience ever. I was one of the acts
up against the award winning Orono High School Choir which is THE
BIGGEST ACT of the night. I was also in the Ameriprise office instead
of a restaurant which would have drawn sandwich seekers as well as
poetry lovers. So when I started walking home part of me was saying,
Why did I bother? I should have stayed home with Joey. (I'm willing
to admit that his battling cancer might have had something to do with
my sadness.)
A great big shout out goes out to the best little cat in the world.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment