Sunday, June 30, 2019

Peace And Me

Peace And Me

Juvenile nonfiction
Every year the news announces the Nobel Prize winners. How much
do you know about the origins of this prestigious award? Back in the
day (the 1840's) Alfred Nobel invented dynamite. It was a great boon
to construction. But it was also weaponized by nations at war. This
aspect really bothered Nobel. He directed that his estate be used to
fund annual prizes in physics, chemistry, literature, medicine, and
peace--an incentive for our best and brightest to make the world a
better place.
Ali Winter's Peace And Me shows readers some of the diverse life
missions of a dozen Nobel Prize winners. Each starts with a peace
definition:
*Under Peace is...helping those in trouble you read about Jean Henry
Durant (1901) who wrote a book about his experiences tending to
injured soldiers on the battlefield that inspired the formation of the
Red Cross.
*Under Peace is...respecting all communities you read about Rigoberta
Mencho Tum (1992) who fought for the rights of indigenous peoples.
*Under Peace is...protecting our environment you read about Wangari
Maathai (2004) who started the Green Belt Movement by planting native
trees and encouraging other women in Kenya to do the same.
At the very end a question is raised: what does peace mean to
you? What a great conversation starter!
I consider Peace And Me to be a must acquire for school and
public libraries and a wise investment for families.
On a personal note, last week I worked. One lunch and two suppers I
was at my beloved Wells. But Wednesday I was lent out to the Bears
Den which is the much more real world eating place in the Union. It
was the second time I'd worked there. Even under the best of
circumstances I'd be apprehensive. And when your cat has cancer does
not constitute anything near optimal for doing something that scares
you witless. I made sandwiches in a deer in the headlights frame of
mind, especially when the manager decided he wanted one. Have you
ever worked with the feeling that you'd screw up every way possible
and one mistake would be write up worthy? I had one of the nicest
supervisors too. I felt guilty for feeling stressed. After 5 1/2
hours of sandwich making which is not strenuous by anyone's standards
I felt as exhausted as if I'd run a marathon. I barely had the energy
to take the bus home.
This coming week I have off. Lots of time for the best little cat in
the world!!!
A great big shout out goes out to precious Joey cat.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment