Thursday, June 6, 2019

Around The World Right Now

Around The World Right Now

Juvenile nonfiction
Ever get stumped by the time zones? Maybe you're planning a
trip. Maybe you need to figure out when to call someone in another
state or country.
Gina Cascone and Bryony Williams Sheppard's Around The World
Right Now introduces children (and read alouding parents) to the
concept that somewhere in the world at any given time every hour is
represented. You drop in on places like:
*Nova Scotia, where people are going out in boats to fish or whale
watch (10:00 a.m.);
*London, where children on a class trip are feeding pelicans in St.
James Park (2:00 p.m.);
*Thailand, where an audience at the Royal Theater is being entertained
with traditional dances (9:00 p.m.);
and *Antarctica, where scientists are doing research at the South Pole
Station (2:00 a.m.) My personal favorites are the humpback born in the
Pacific Ocean (3:00 a.m.) and the lonely moose walking along a dark
street in Anchorage (5:00 a.m.)
Around The World Right Now is a delightful way to introduce
younger readers and listeners to geography and cultural diversity.
It's a great acquisition for school and public libraries and parents
planning family travel.
On a personal note, these past four weeks since Joey's diagnosis I've
been living mindfully in the moment even more than my usual,
cherishing my precious time with the best little cat in the world.
Binge reading, cat cuddling, and candy eating have centered my days.
Basically screw a future that probably won't include my best little
buddy. I don't want to look too far ahead. Today I decided to laugh
at the summer plans list I had put together so confidently just hours
before that vet trip. Much to my amazement, I'm on track for almost
everything: work, volunteering, blog, shed and house organizing. I'm
really acing more time with Joey. There's only a few things I've not
embarked on, and it's no big deal. That's an indication that my old
normal was not as pressured as I thought.
A great big shout out goes out to the best little cat in the world who
is curled up on my legs napping.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment