Sunday, April 28, 2019

Zen Teen

Zen Teen

YA/adult nonfiction
"Mindfulness is about creating space in our minds and our lives,
some breathing room for pauses, rest, and reflection. More of the
good stuff that helps us mindfully craft our lives...so we are happier
and calmer and feel like we have some control in navigating our
journey. Just like you developed healthy habits when you were a kid,
such as learning how to share and brushing your teeth, you can also
develop the habit of mindfulness now as a teen."
I would add, or an adult. Although designed for and marketed to
adolescents, Tanya Carroll Richardson's Zen Teen is applicable to any
life stage. I know a lot of highly educated professional adults who
can use its wisdom. Yes, I know there are books for adults on this
topic. In my mind, this volume is a lot more lucid and fresh.
Here's the thing. The old time developmental psychologists who
posited human development as a one size fits all predictable linear
progression (usually based on white male CIS hetero progression) were
badly mistaken. For example, there is often not one stage where you
discover your identity. Divorce, the loss of a job, a crippling car
accident, or any other trauma can send you back to square one. In my
case parenting had been my focus for so long I had to figure out who I
was apart from being a mom at the same time my kids were navigating
who am I outside of the family. We were in the same space. There is
no stage at which one can't profit from awareness.
Mindfulness is the thread that ties the forty exercises in Zen
Teen together. Some of them include:
*journal;
*give yourself a break;
*try self-love;
*try aroma therapy;
*try a digital detox;
*look for simple pleasures;
and *find your soul tribe.
This isn't a book you need to read cover to cover. Flip through
and linger over what seems most interesting. Even one of the
practices--say, giving yourself a break--when practiced regularly, can
make a big difference in your life.
The soul tribe one was my favorite. Blood and marriage ties
don't always bring people together. Sometimes it really helps to
build a family of soul mates: people with whom you connect on a deep
level, people with whom you can be yourself, people who care enough to
speak up if they have concerns. I have that in my 3 BFFs: Lisa and
Mazie with whom I've shared a decade and Jodi who shares so many of my
beliefs and goals. In school I have soul mates. At work I have some
awesome soul mates like Anna, my dog rescuing manager. These
relationships add so much to my life.
The digital detox is something nearly everyone these days can
benefit from. It can help to decide which media uses are useful or
bring you joy and which are time kills or worse. What brings me joy?
Emails from treasured friends, higher education research, and, of
course, cats being adorable. What I pass on: all the rest.
Which of these ideas resonates the most with you? Guess you
need to read the book to find out.
On a personal note, on Wednesday I was talking to a student about a
deeply personal matter. My understanding was what he wanted.
Suddenly I thought that if my obit was in the paper soon, if I died
too early due to something I could have prevented, a lot of people,
starting with my family and close friends, would lose someone they
really need. So I decided to go way out of my comfort zone and start
getting yearly check ups beginning summer break. I have reason to be
wary of doctors. I almost died and almost didn't get a broken bone
set because 2 medical douches bags didn't listen to me. Beyond that I
have six other experiences of doctors behaving badly. But I am going
to Mabel Wadsworth, the most radical feminist healthcare facility in
the area. I have decided I want a collaborative doctor-patient
relationship where the doctor listens as well as a vetinarian and
respects my intelligence. And before I go I am going to prepare a
list of my my health assets and challenges and what I am working on.
I've decided to give this to my kids as a Mothers Day gift. The
timing is purrr (Joey is on my lap) fect.
A great big shout out goes out to vetinarians who have a lot to teach
their peers who specialize in two footed mammals.
jules hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment