Sunday, April 28, 2019

A Path Of Stars

A Path Of Stars

Picture book
Dara, protagonist of Anne Sibley O'Brien's A Path Of Stars,
loves her name which translates to star. Her beloved grandmother, Lok
Yeay, chose it. She loves her grandmother's stories of her growing up
years.
Lok Yeay has sad memories also. War in her native Cambodia took
most of her family. She fled with only her baby daughter and her
brother, Lok Ta. They had lost everyone and everything else. After
an arduous journey they arrived at a refugee camp. Shortly after they
parted ways: Lok Yeay flying to Maine with her child and Lok Ta
returning to Cambodia. Lok Yeay looks forward to taking her family to
Cambodia to meet her beloved brother...
...until one day she learns that he died. She retreats to her
bed. The house is too quiet. Dara thinks she knows how to bring the
light back into her grandmother's eyes...
...and you have to read the book to discover her plan.
On a personal note, I decided to start on one goal, namely cutting out
foods that aren't good for me. I now have a composition book in which
I write what I eat and drink for meals and snacks. Not only will that
help me focus, it will give my future doctor valuable information. I
hope she appreciates that. I'm having no problem with will (or rather
won't) power. But it's a struggle to take in 2,000 calories a day on
mostly healthy choices.
A great big shout out goes out to my fellow UMaine students and profs
as we head into the last week of classes and the catering folks in
dining services who are out straight providing food for a myriad of
celebrations.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment