Saturday, April 6, 2019

Slut!

Slut!

Adult nonfiction
Being known as the school slut is a terrifying experience. In
school, where social hierarchy counts for everything, the school
"slut" is a pariah, a butt of jokes, a loser. Girls and boys both
gang up on her. She endures cruel and sneering comments--slut is
often interchangeable with whore and bitch--as she walks down the
hallway. She is publically humiliated in the classroom and
cafeteria. Her body is considered public property: she is fair game
for physical harassment."
Chances are good that your high school had at least one girl who
was known as easy or a tramp. Her name appeared in lurid boys
bathroom grafitti. Male peers wanted to get into her pants or at
least get a hand under her bra, but wouldn't be caught dead taking her
to prom or to meet the parents. Girls critiqued her posture,
mannerisms, and clothes, especially if they suspected her of thinking
she was all that.
Leora Tanenbaum was one of those girls. When she was in the
ninth grade a friend spread the word that she was a slut. She was the
subject of furtive whipers, name calling, and ostracism. She felt
insecure for the rest of her high school years. She kept her
experiences to herself as she headed to college.
It wasn't until 1993, learning how many girls are the victims of
slut bashing, that Tanenbaum learned that her painful experiences
weren't unique. Following this revelation, she went to great lengths
to locate other women who had survived similar persecutions and teens
who were enduring them. She interviewed fifty women and girls from a
variety of locations and backgrounds. In Slut! she skillfully
integrates their experiences and hers with theory and background.
Tanenbaum discovered three types of girls who were at risk for a
slut label. The "loose" girls were judged by looks. Some appeared to
have a casual attitude toward sex. Others simply were early
bloomers. Paula was wearing a 36C bra in 7th grade. "In eighth
grade, classmates called Paula, a virgin, a 'five-cent whore,'
'hooker,' and 'slut.' They took her notebook and wrote things in it
like, 'You're not worth shit' and 'You're a bitch.'" Rape victims are
accused of asking for it. It can get the rapist off the hook and keep
him out of jail. The victim can be made to believe she's at least
partly to blame. The rapist's girlfriend has a "seductress" to blame
instead of having to question her guy's loyalty.
Ultimately, though, all girls who are slut shamed are victims of
the patriarchy. In the world of the 1950s there were good girls and
bad girls. The bad girls were the ones with whom boys were supposed
to sow their wild oats, a necessary developmental evil. The good
girls were the ones they married and settled down with in the
suburbs. They were the gate keepers, responsible for keeping the
relationship chaste until matrimony.
Sixty years later has a whole lot changed? Not really. Women
are still judged on what they wear and do and where they go. Men are
the only ones considered to have legitimate urges. The old double
standard just won't go away...
...which makes Slut! a must read for feminists and allies.
On a personal note, despite the snow storm on Wednesday, I had a
really great school week. Class was awesome. We did our presentations
and group projects. My small group met to code our surveys and plan
our next step. I thought I was a liability because I don't know as
much computer. They reminded me that I was the one who went to the
conference and the reason we're doing this particular project--my
enthusiasm sold them on it. I love working with them. When people
signed up for groups I wicked lucked out. Work was wonderful. Jodi
helped me with one of my electronic trainings. I got to spend time
with her. :-)
I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to next week!!! It's Pride Week. (I hope we
have good weather for the flag raising.) I'll get a build a critter
for my menagerie. It's also student employee appreciation week--my
first as a student employee!!! And Saturday the 13th I'll be in the
heavenly position of dancing in front of about 1,500 screaming drag
fans (who will adore me) at the Drag Show!!! What more could a two
spirit ask for?
Great big shout outs go out to Cam, Kayla, Alex, and Victoria who are
my project group, Jodi, the Student Employment office staff, and the
best little cat in the world who is curled up on my lap.
I love being...
...jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment