Monday, April 8, 2019

Starstruck

Starstruck

Juvenile biography
Have you noticed how hard it's getting to see stars in the sky
unless you live out in the boonies? Growing up in the light polluted
Bronx, Neil DeGrasse Tyson could count only twelve. A trip to the
Hayden Planetarium gave him a glimpse at what seemed like millions and
changed his life forever. "The universe called me." His parents
believed in him. They bought him science books and even a telescope
which allowed him to see the stars from his rooftop.
There were others who did not share their faith. Some people
would call the police upon seeing a black boy on the roof and
mistaking his telescope for a weapon. Even when he was excelling at
the Bronx High School of Science, friends thought Neil would have a
better chance of becoming a professional athlete or community organizer.
For Neil, however, even the sky was not the limit. Kathleen
Krull and Paul Brewer's Starstruck shows readers how he answered that
early call from the universe.
On a personal note, yesterday was sunny with temps that went into the
50s. Today stars aren't what we're seeing in the sky. It's snowing
out. Meteorologists are calling for something like eight inches. At
UMaine we had the flag raising for Pride Week inside. Classes after
1:00 were cancelled. Of course that doesn't mean I can go home.
Being on the supper shift up to Wells I'm essential personnel. My
husband will be working so I have no clue how I'll get home. If I
can't find a ride I'll just have to channel my inner huskie and walk
home. Life is full of adventures.
A great big shout out goes out to all the fine folks who will make
Pride Week a true celebration.
jules hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment