Monday, April 8, 2019

Pass Go And Collect $200

Pass Go And Collect $200

Juvenile herstory
Chances are you've played Monopoly at least once in your life.
It's one of those classics hanging out in many people's game closets--
the original as well as the numerous special editions. But how much
do you know about how this ubiquitous passtime came to be?
I didn't know or really care to know. It seemed so
materialistic. A game where the objective is to get as rich as
possible by bankrupting other players has as much appeal to me as
becoming besties with the dog next door has to Joey cat (who is draped
across my shoulders purring as I write this). But then I read Tanya
Lee Stone's Pass Go And Collect $200. I learned two fascinating facts.
Although a man has been credited with inventing the game, its
creator was really a woman.
This glorification of capitalism on steroids actually came about
as a protest of the less than savory practices of landlords of her day.
As a child, my older daughter, Amber, used to create her own
board games. The earliest Monopoly games were home made. Is there an
issue your family or friends really care about? Creating a game
around it is a great way to learn more...
...and who knows? Maybe a few of you can go big and create a
way to enlighten many others.
On a personal note, yesterday I was enough ahead on my homework to go
to church for the first time this year. I sang in the choir and
talked about Pride Week and the Drag Show at announcements. And you
would be amused to know I shouted AMEN! in the middle of Pastor
Lorna's sermon. It's a behavior more associated with
fundamentalists. Only at coffee hour people said I expressed what
they were feeling.
When I was preparing supper I saw something beautiful. Twenty-nine
years ago, when I was great with child (Amber) Eugene and I lived in a
dear little apartment in Orono. The night before Christmas we saw
Santa riding down our street on the back of a truck and waving to
people. The next day Eugene said my mystery gift--a heart shaped
prism--was from Santa. It hangs in my kitchen. In our warmer seasons
it makes dancing rainbows on the wall. Last night--the beginning of
UMaine's Pride Week--I saw those dear little rainbows for the first
time this year. It made my heart dance with joy.
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who still makes sure Santa
leaves me something, even now with our kids taller than me.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment