Monday, May 15, 2023

Star Knights


Juvenile graphic novel 
     Kids encounter prejudice in regard to a lot of aspects of their identity.  On the playground, for example, they can be excluded because of a number of immutable facets of themselves such as race, gender, class, and disability.  They also see it play out in the larger world and the news.  Kay Devault's graphic novel, Star Knights, takes it on in a parable set in a world where not all animals are created equal.
     All the animals long to be star knights like the ones who created a utopia and kept the Marsh Witch at bay "many lifetimes ago."  Tad, a frog, is no exception.  But when he tries to join in their games they reject him, believing that "mud dwellers" are Marsh Witch's gross minions.
     Rejection, however, is not enough to make Tad give up on his dream.  One night stars begin to fall as they had in the legendary past.  Tad gets one and is transformed.  Now he can protect the star knight and return him to his proper place in the universe.
     Young readers, especially those who are bullied or left out by peers will love the colorful adventures of this loveable but far from perfect underfrog.
On a purrrsonal note,  on a sad note, Ben Evans, who was my Commuter Lounge internship supervisor, will be leaving UMaine in mid June to take a job down South.  I sure am glad I did this internship before he left.  He gave me a chance to really show what I could achieve and was so supportive.  But the side of him that I adore the most is the joy he takes in parenting.  I really am going to miss him.  I guess the internet is good for something, especially where he'll have all my resumes to edit when I start job hunting.  (Jules)
Good guy, that Ben.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Ben.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 

Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment