Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Love Radio

YA fiction
     "But as much as I love her, I know it's just as important for me to do my own thing.  With all the love and support my parents have given me, I still feel like a caged bird.  I gotta fly."
     The place Dani yearns to fly is New York City.  She's itching to take a bite out of the Big Apple.  Her long term goal is to become a celebrated Black writer.  So she's hard at work on her college applications.
     The irony is that she's having trouble with her personal essays.  In fact she's had trouble writing just about anything since an incident that she keeps trying to push to the back of her mind--one that has her isolating herself from her best friend and having trouble trusting anyone.  
     Romance is certainly the last thing on her mind.
     Prince, a poised and popular radio DJ with his own show is probably the envy of many of his high school classmates.  But he has his own struggles.  Ever since his mother was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and his father hit the road he's been the man of the house for his mom and his beloved little brother, Mook.  Looking toward college, despite his ambitions, he can't see himself venturing too far.  He's too much needed at home.
     Prince has been secretly crushing on and off on Dani.  A chance encounter in the library and an apology/kindness on her part lead to him coming to her house to take out her braids.  She seems to warm up to him just a little...
     ...just enough to give him hope.  But getting past her defenses and reading and reading and correctly responding to her mixed messages is quite a challenge...
     ...even for a radio personality who dishes out romance advice on his show.
     Can Prince convince Dani he's the one for her in only three dates?  Read Ebony Delle's Love Radio and see.
On a purrrsonal note, I'd just checked out some inter library loan books from Orono Public Library and was crossing the parking lot to Orono Thrift Shop when a school friend asked me IF I WANT TO BE IN A DRAG SHOW the third week in June AT THE WILSON CENTER!!!  OMG!!!  OMG!!!  OMG!!!  For me performing drag is like flying!  The ultimate freedom.  And I have a special fondness for the Wilson Center where I married Eugene!  It will be a night to remember.  (Jules)
And she has some awesome new drag clothes thanks to Clean Sweep.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the wonderful central Maine drag community!
Tobago and Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment