Sunday, May 14, 2023

From The Notebooks of Melanin Sun

Juvenile fiction 
     Melanin Sun, Jacqueline Woodson's protagonist, sometimes has trouble saying what's on his mind.  He keeps what he can't say in notebooks.  One summer he has a lot to write about.
     Melanin and his mother are the only members of their family.  His father is nowhere to be seen.  His mother's relatives are dead.  So they've been super close...
     ...until that when his mother becomes involved with a special person.  Their relationship feels unnatural to him.  This news won't stay private long in his very gossipy neighborhood.  What will his friends think?  Will this ruin his chances with his crush who actually seems to like him?
     This poignant coming of age narrative is a good choice for kids who are struggling with confusing changes in their own families.
On a purrrsonal note, this past week beginning Wednesday I've been helping set up Clean Sweep, the humungous yard sale made up of all the stuff people leave in the dorms.  So far I've been sorting clothes.  I've been setting aside stuff to take home.  I'm allowed.  This week we'll be setting up through Thursday.  The sale will be Friday and Saturday.  Then the week after will be clean up.  This will be money toward my goal of not working dining my last year of school.  My advisor doesn't want me to.  She wants me to focus on the work experiences that will really need up my resume for that after graduation job.  Not going to fight her on that one.  (Jules)
It's finally nice out.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Leah



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment