Friday, May 26, 2023

In The Same Boat

YA fiction
     "We race because it's hard.  Because it's pushing yourself further than what a lot of people even think is possible.  It's finding out what you're made of."
     For Sadie, protagonist of Holly Green's In The Same Boat, the annual Texas River Odyssey is a family tradition.  In fact it's considered what makes a Scofield a Scofield.  
     It's a brutal 265 mile boat race that goes on for days and nights.  Venomous snakes, alligators, underwater rocks and trees, rapids, and lightning storms are only some of the hazards paddlers face.  Serious injury is an ever present prospect.
     But Sadie has been brought up with sayings like "Scofields don't even stop to rest."  Her grandparents, parents, and big brother, Tanner, have finished the race.  She had tried with her father the year before, only to prematurely terminate their run by needing medical attention.
     So she's going to make the run with Tanner.  Only the night before the race he ditches her for another boat with their father's consent, maybe even encouragement.  She overhears a conversation between her parents.
     "'Nicole.' Dad's voice is softer now.  'Our kids don't belong in a boat together.  Can't you see how much drive he has?  He'll never slow down.  He'll never quit.'"
     You can imagine how Sadie feels.  She retreats to her room.  Suddenly she hears a rapping sound at her window.  It's the boy next door, Cully.  He asks her to do the race with him...
     ...which isn't as simple as it sounds.  They had been best friends.  Their families had been cordial until one year when the dads had run the race together and come back full of enmity.  Since then the clans have been like the legendary Hatfields Mccoys.
     So if Sadie teams up with Cully it won't sit well with her family.  But it's her only chance to prove herself.
     If a suspenseful race narrative with drama on and off the course is your cup of tea, you owe it to yourself to read In The Same Boat.
On a purrrsonal note, I saw Ben today.  He'll be leaving UMaine the middle of next month.  Ben was my Commuter Lounge internship supervisor.  We worked so well together.  He gave me the respect and agency I needed to do an untraditional internship and get a good start on turning the commuter lounge around.  We'd planned to work together this summer and fall semester to consolidate and expand the gains.  So when I learned he was leaving my mind went to a dark place.  What if the person who replaces him doesn't give a damn about the commuter lounge or hates all my ideas.  At least for now I get to work with Brittany who loves all my ideas.  So I want to accomplish as much as I can before things change.  But also I've known him almost five years from when he was ahead of me in the program.  He's as geeky as me and a thoughtful and considerate friend.  He adores his family and looks radiant when he's with his kids.  I'm really going to miss him.  (Jules)
Sounds like a great guy.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the one and only Ben Evans.  
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment