Saturday, December 3, 2022

Assume Nothing

     "'Don't be afraid.  Don't be ashamed,' I told myself in the months before my story of abuse became public.  I had decided to come forward after I had realized I was part of a pattern.  It wasn't just my story; other women shared it.  And I had to tell it to prevent still others from having it become their story, too."
     Tanya Selvaratnam, author of Assume Nothing: A Story of Intimate Violence, thought her life was finally changing for the better.  She'd survived infertility, cancer surgery, and divorce.  Suddenly Eric Schneiderman,  attorney general of New York State, was seriously courting her.  He was suave and attentive and involved in the causes dear to her heart.
     After awhile Schneiderman revealed himself to be prince not so charming.  He began to hurt her during sex.  He gas lighted her, making herself.  And she learned that she was not the first.  
     Selvaratnam had grown up witnessing her father abusing her mother.  She'd sworn that she would never become one of those women.  What had gone wrong?
     She candidly shares her experiences of the domestic violence cycle from fairy tale to nightmare with readers.  She shows us that even someone who presents himself as a women's issues ally can be quite cruel behind closed doors.  She provides extensive information on domestic violence including a large list of resources.
     Assume Nothing is an excellent read for people who want to learn more about this all too common crime.
On a purrrsonal note, I'm tired.  My kidney stone has been acting up.  Eugene had his vacation at camp.  That was a good thing.  I was so exhausted when I came home every day I didn't have the energy to change into pajamas, never mind put supper on the table.  Quite a week with a lot going on.  Right now I can see pouring wind driven rain outside my window.  (Jules)
Sure glad I'm not out in that mess.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who is finally home.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment