Monday, December 26, 2022

Raising Antiracist Children

Parenting 
     My advisor is amazing.  She's someone I deeply respect.  She's helped me not only choose classes but learn about myself and evolve as a human being work in progress.
     I thought of her last week.  I actually had time to spend in my local library and browse the new books.  I'd been bypassing the parenting section recently.  My kids are well on their own with no intention of procreating. For some reason, though, Britt Hawthorne and Natasha Yglesias' Raising Antiracist Children caught my eye.  Leah is raising a very young child.  She would appreciate wisdom on raising an antiracist child.  
     I decided to review the book as a way of saying thank you to someone who has had a large role in shaping the person I am today.
     Honestly I wish this book had been around decades ago when my children were little.  It's so much more insightful than anything available back then.  Here are some of it's considerable strengths.  
     It reminds parents of the need to go beyond reading and thinking to take actions to help change the world in the right direction.  Being enlightened will not help people from marginalized communities thrive or even survive in a world awash in systemic bias.  The family as a unit can undertake actions that can make a difference.  There is a wealth of ideas.
     It connects the dots between racism and other aspects of our society that often aren't seen as interrelated.  Capitalism and consumerism are one of them.  Parents can learn how family spending patterns can reinforce or fight systemic inequities.  The myth of meritocracy with its underlying assertion that people deserve their privilege or deprivation comes under long overdue scrutiny.  
     There is a focus on community that beautifully combats America's isolating individualism/nuclear family focus.  There are ways of creating diverse and communities.  There also is a reminder of the importance of creating change in community institutions schools and protecting vulnerable ones such as libraries.
     While most books support a one way wisdom flow with the parent shaping the child, it supports the agency of the child.  Our kids are savvy and capable long before most people acknowledge.  In fact a child can hold a parent accountable for errors and inconsistencies.  
     Like I said, I really wish this book had been around when my children were little.  If you have young children or grandchildren it's a must acquire.  It also makes a very affordable gift for a public or school library.
On a purrrsonal note, the day before Christmas Eve which was Tobago's 6th birthday and 3rd adoption anniversary was quite dramatic.  I woke up to a pewter sky spitting rain.  As the day wore on the precip became heavier and more wind whipped.  Tobago was visibly frightened.  Eugene had received a ham from his work.  I should have known better than to try to cook it with the weather being what it was.  The power abruptly shut off with an hour of cooking time left to go.  Tobago went from scared to terrified.  She wasn't the only one scared.  I think the wind was close to hurricane force.  The family home is a 32 year old trailer.  The next day the wind and rain had stopped.  The sun was out.  But the power was out so the house was frigid.  I put on a second pair of pajamas and snuggled with Tobago under a blanket on the sofa near the tree with a book.  My fingers were too stiff to hold a pen.  You better believe Tobago and I were happy campers when the power came on and that furnace started up!  And I was able to finish cooking the ham.  (Jules)
It was scary, so very very scary.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the workers who restored the power.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment