Thursday, December 29, 2022

Rescue & Jessica

Picture book
"Will I be a good service dog? Rescue wondered.
What will my new partner be like?
Will she like me?
Rescue didn't want to let anyone down.
     On a special farm a black lab was growing up.  While many in his family had become seeing eye dogs, it had been decided that he was more suited to being a service dog.  He's trained to fetch objects and open doors and in other ways help someone with a mobility impairment.
"How will I do things on my own? Jessica wondered.
When will I be able to walk again?
What will my life be like?
Her whole family was worried about her, and she didn't want to let anyone down."
     Jessica has been badly hurt.  Part of her left leg has been amputated.  Adapting  to a prosthetic limb is quite a challenge.  Feeling sad about the things she still can't do, she isn't sure if she ever can be happy again.
     Then magic happens for both canine and human.  They're paired up and learn how to bring out the best in each other, even when a setback means that Jessica loses her other leg.
     Many people who are aware of seeing eye dogs don't know of the other amazing things canines can do.  Dogs like Rescue help people with physical disabilities.  There are special dogs for hearing impaired people and children on the autism spectrum.  Canine companions can detect oncoming seizures in people with epilepsy or dangerous blood sugar changes in people with diabetes.
     But it's not just the dogs.  Therapy cats do some pretty good work.
     If my kids were little I'd buy them this book in a heartbeat.  It's also a good acquisition for school and public libraries.
On a purrrsonal note, the moment I'd been looking forward to and dreading happened today.  I got the grade for the big paper which was the last part of my internship.  If my calculations are right I have an A- for the class.  I don't think I can be low enough to not get credit for the hardest class of my whole life which I went through with a symptomatic kidney stone.  New Years Eve is just around the corner and I intend to celebrate.  Thanks to the wonders of inter library loan I have a stack of Heather Gudenkauf mysteries.  Tomorrow I'm bussing to Hannaford to buy human and cat treats.  (Jules)
We are going to live it up, celebrate good times.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our readers with hopes you have plans for a safe and joyous New Years Eve.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment