Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Hips on the Drag Queen Go Swish, Swish, Swish

Picture Book
     I'm sure sometime you've heard and sung the classic The Wheels on the Bus.  I started belting it out to my babies straight out of the hospital.  The song and its motions were a staple of the library programs I took their young selves to.  Heck, if it starts up when I'm volunteering I drop my shelf reading and join right in and do my best to add cats to the riders.
     Lil Miss Hot Mess' new take is irresistible.  A group of vibrant and self confident drag queens dances down a street:
*hips swishing 
*shoes stomping 
*jewels blinging 
*shoulders shimmying 
     Can you imagine the story time crowd chanting and dancing to that?
     This is a book whose time has come.  Drag shows with their affirmations of human diversity are going mainstream.  Some libraries are hosting Drag Queen Story Hours.  Such a beautiful step in the right direction.
On a purrrsonal note, it really bothers me that those conservatives who want to keep us worshipping the binary are doing their best to keep us in the dark ages and drag in the dark alleys are going all out to shut down this vibrant form of self expression when kids are in the audience.  Even when the queens are simply reading picture books out loud.  (Jules)
Can't wait til the goodies tonight.  Maybe if I take a nap it will come faster (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the drag community.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment