Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The Art Of Drag

     At the University of Maine I'm drag royalty.  There is nothing I love doing more that dancing my ass off for a cheering, applauding audience, carrying on an exuberant but intimate conversation.  My drag name is Gotta Believe We're Magic because cast, crew, audience--all are participants in the magic that is drag.  Therefore, it was obvious what review I should post the morning of my 71st birthday.
     "...Not only does drag set out to subvert society's norms, it delights at poking fun at the world around us.  Every day, artists across the globe did deep into their dressing up boxes, using lavish costumes and makeup to magic up larger-than-life alter-egos that dazzle and amaze.  It's exciting, liberating, and deliciously queer, so it's no wonder that drag has fast become a global phenomenon."
     It's magic for the kings and queens also.  We can set ourselves free in a space where we don't have to live by other people's expectations or always be explaining ourselves.  We can just be in a crowd of people who understand and value our truthful presentations.  When I perform I feel like I'm soaring through a night sky among the stars.  
     If you're a performer, a fan, or curious about this art form you'll find a lot to enjoy in Jake Hale's The Art Of Drag.  It's a history that goes way back in time to explore its roots, cruises through the centuries, and speculates about its sure to be amazing future.  Many members of drag royalty are beautifully brought to life.
     You wanna talk flamboyant?  There are bedazzling illustrations on each and every page.
     But then again we wouldn't expect any less in a book about drag.
On a purrrsonal note, I'm about to run canteen for the second day of the UMaine blood drive.  We did super yesterday.  We got something like 78 units.  I'm hoping for another good day.  Today I have something special for donors and volunteers--little stuffed animals like teeny beanies to make their experience extra special because of it being my birthday. (Jules)
An event very dear to my heart.  The birthday of the person who took me home from the shelter.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our donors and volunteers and the Red Cross nurses.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment