Sunday, September 18, 2022

Something Worth Saving

     "Aidan is a thief, and Victoria doesn't know it.  Mom seems distracted by Mark.  Dad won't stop drinking, so he is not welcome at home.  How can I get anyone to help Charlie when my humans keep making things more complicated?"
     If humans are anything we're complicated, especially when it comes to families.  In Something Worth Saving Sandi Ward looks at a decidedly in stress and transition family through a very different lens.  Her protagonist, Lily, is the gorgeous, long furred family cat.
     Lily had a rough start in life.  A kick from an abusive owner has left her with a permanent limp.  The limp deferred would be adopters at the shelter she ended up in until Charlie, the family's younger son brought her home.
     Now Lily sees bruises on Charlie, injuries he's trying to hide.  She desperately wants to stop whoever is hurting her devoted and sweet best friend.  But she's deterred by more than the language barrier.  Everyone in Charlie's life seems preoccupied with their own problems, too busy to notice what's going on with him.
     But Lily isn't giving up.  This tender, boy and his cat story of love and loyalty is a must read.
On a purrrsonal note, I wish Tobago could write.  I wish I could know what she experienced in her first years and what events brought her to the shelter so I can help her overcome any trauma she's lived through.  She may be a rescue cat but she's been a rescuer to me.  She helped me survive not only the death of my precious Joey cat, but the isolation of that first year and a half of the pandemic. (Jules)
I'm much too busy to write.  I've got a house to keep varmint free, people to take care of, a neighborhood to watch...Just thinking of it all makes me realize I need a nap.  Wake me up at dinner time.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the companion animals who light up our lives.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment