Sunday, September 18, 2022

Color Me In

     Imagine that, because of lineage, you're a member of two very different groups.  Other people may say you're lucky to have membership in the heritage of both.  But you feel empty, alone, and invisible because you don't really seem to belong in either world while some people are constantly trying to figure out what box to put you in.
     That's the plight of Neveah, protagonist of Natasha Diaz's Color Me In.  Her parents are involved in the kind of acrimonious split up where the drama is front and center and the welfare of the child is peripheral 
     "Jordan walks over from wherever she has been hanging out.  In the sunset, the shadow of her hair looks like a crown.
     'Great, so white girls are gonna see you and think it's okay to get cornrows outside of their annual all-inclusive Caribbean island vacation.   This isn't some fad the Kardashians started, it's our culture.'"
     Neveah and her mother have moved back to her mom's home (and church) in Harlem.  She wants to fit in and belong.  But her cousin, Jordan, can't seem to see beyond the privilege her lighter skin affords her.
     "I barely know what it means to be Jewish; it's one part of myself I never had to worry about because my father told me I didn't have to.  He said he and I were Jewish by birth, but didn't have to be religious."
     Evidently dear old dad has changed his mind.  Now he's insisting on a bat mitzvah--three years late--when Neveah would really prefer to have a sweet 16 party to look forward to.  So now she's attending religious classes with preteens, meeting regularly with a rabbi...
     ...and wondering how this new complication is going to play out in her snobby private school, a school in which she already feels like an outsider, a school she may have to navigate alone her junior year.  Her best (and only) friend, Stevie, is about to audition for a twelve month dance Fellowship in London.
     What more can go wrong? Read the book and find out.
     In a letter to readers at the end of the book Diaz says, "Color Me In is the book of my heart.  I based this novel on my real life, even though I have written the story as fiction."
     No wonder the voice is so authentic!
     I can't imagine not being drawn into this poignant and powerful coming of age narrative.
On a purrrsonal note, I'm having a productive weekend.  Yesterday was sunny; today is chilly, grey, and on and off drizzly.  You can really tell autumn is almost here.  Eugene spent a lot of time at Winterport.  He did take me shopping this morning and buy me two Halloween shirts which I'll wear the two days of the blood drive.  I did a lot of homework.  In fact I finished my reflections and am about to start my big paper.  After I turn that in I can get ready for academic showcase.  Dr. Gillon says I can be excused from it because my kidney stone operation is a week before.  But I don't want to be excused from my last academic showcase.  I want to show everyone how wonderful my internship was.  I plan to be tough and take time off work and achieve my goal.  I also got major cleaning done and made taco soup and applesauce chocolate chip cookies from scratch.  Last night I rewarded myself with several hours reading and eating candy.  I plan to do the same tonight.  (Jules)
She's going to do academic showcase.  She's tough like that.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene.  Those Halloween shirts are fine!
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment