Monday, September 26, 2022

You Know, Sex

Nonfiction for everyone 
     We've just observed Banned Books Week.  But this is no time to drop the subject for 51 weeks.  The fact is that conservatives are trying to get record numbers of important books banned from schools and libraries and even bookstores:
*books revealing the systemic aspects of racism;
*books validating nonbinary gender identities and diverse sexual orientations;
*books exposing classism 
*books questioning authority;
*even books saying climate change is real.
It's bad enough keeping these books out of the hands of children who desperately need them.  Censors have their eyes on adult books also.  They'll be only too happy to limit what we can read to what they want us to read.  As in you know, fascism.
     Recall how after 9/11 government officials were trying to get librarians to hand over borrower records?
     One awesome new book that is sure to be banned in plenty of places is Cory Silverberg and Fiona Smyth's You Know, Sex.  It replaces the " the talk" mentality that isolates sex from all other facets of life and limits it to awkward lectures on menstruation, reproduction, and just say no with nuanced explorations of sex in the context of all of one's life.  There is no wait til you're older.  There is no my way or the highway.  It's about open explorations, not judgement.
     This lively narrative told in graphic novel format is set in a middle school sex ed class.  Four friends take center stage.  Readers get to know them in and out of school.  They and their classmates explore a wide range of topics from very diverse perspectives.  Or course there are expected ones like body changes during puberty.  But there are also ones many people don't see as sex related such as implicit bias and genocide.
     Adults as well as kids and teens are encouraged to explore the book.  Many of us didn't get to explore and discuss issues like sex and gender when we were growing up.  And it's never too late.
     I think You Know, Sex is wonderful and mind boggling and engaging and thought provoking.  If I was a billionaire I'd buy copies for all the people in my life.
     But there is one aspect that really bugs me.  On page 51 humans are divided into age categories: 11 to 19, 20 to 70, and over 70.  The younger two groups are lively and diverse and take up plenty of space.  In the tiny sliver devoted to my age and up you see stereotypes.  Ageism doesn't even get a token mention in the glossary or index.  Come on, Cory and Fiona.  There are as many ways of being 71 as there are of being 17.
     Ray Bradbury once said, "You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get people to stop reading them."  I use my blog as a way of letting people know about controversial and much needed volumes such as the one I've just reviewed.  What can you do to help keep these books accessible to all people including kids?
On a purrrsonal note, puberty was not the best part of my life.  Before I even menstruated a gym teacher molested me.  When I tried to report him I was called a vicious little liar.  It made the perfectly natural changes my body was going through feel menacing.  Also I was a gender fluid person growing up in a binary world.  I was always getting nagged to act and dress more femininely.  Mom even enrolled me in modeling school.  I was 63 when I realized there was a term other than weird that described me.  And now at 71 I am delighted with the person I am.  At UMaine where I'm a grad student I'm drag royalty.
A great big shout goes out to you, beautiful readers.  May you read and promote controversial books and delight in your unique, intersectional selves.
Jules and Tobago Hathaway 




Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment