Sunday, September 11, 2022

The You I've Never Known

YA fiction 
"I can't remember 
Every place
Dad and I have 
Called home.  When 
I was real little, the two 
Of us sometimes lived in
Our car.  Those memories
Are in motion, always moving."
     For most of Ariel's seventeen years her world consisted of herself, her father, and his fleeting romantic conquests.  Their lifestyle was nomadic, constantly taking off at a moment's notice.  School was not in the picture.  It's only recently that they've settled down and she's been able to attend high school.  She loves finally having a community and friends, but constantly fears that she'll lose them when something sets her volatile and violent father off.
"Funerals stink.  Especially your daddy's funeral.  Especially, especially when you have to sneak out to go because your crazy mother would totally flip if she had a clue that was your plan.  And, hey, why not toss in the fact that your lunatic mom was most of the reason your dad drank himself to death to begin with?"
     Maya's mother has become obsessed with Scientology and the desire to climb higher in their hierarchy.  Her response to her daughter's disobedience: "Soon enough saying no won't be an option.  We're moving to Sea Org in Los Angeles this spring.  They won't put up with your shenanigans."
     Maya needs to get away.  But how? An older military man impregnates her and proposes.  She knows marrying someone who is basically a stranger is not a great option.  But she can't come up with any others.
     The unlikely meeting of these two protagonists will send sparks flying.  
     Hopkins' plots and protagonists are often drawn from her life.  The You I've Never Known is no exception.  Her youngest daughter was kidnapped and kept from her for three terrifying, heartbreaking years.
     If you're already a Hopkins fan or enjoy suspenseful drama with complex characters and relationships you'll find this literary gem to be a must read.
On a purrrsonal note, it was a productive but frustrating weekend.  Eugene was away both Saturday and Sunday.  I was stuck at home since I can't drive and there aren't buses on weekends.  I got a bunch of homework done.  I got my laundry done and hung outside.  I did more spring cleaning.  Only not being able to drive I can't get the returnables and other stuff (including the beat up bed) out of Adam's old room so it can be Eugene's man cave for all his stuff cluttering up the living room.  I don't mind Eugene having his own interests.  I have mine.  But I want to know what he's doing far enough in advance to make plans of my own.  Enough already!  I am going to make a few plans.  And if he wants me last minute available, tough.  I'm also going to start looking around for help with that room.  I plan to have made real progress by deer season.  (Jules)
That should be interesting.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who is the love of our life.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment