Monday, June 28, 2021

This Is The Fire

This Is The Fire

Adult nonfiction
"We are experiencing a moment as terrifying and thrilling as any
of the tectonic shifts that have borne us forward through history. I
have to confess, even I didn't see it coming. A swift kick of
reactionary zeal caught me by surprise, so I was not surprised at all
when I saw a lot of White people react with startled knee jerk
aversity."
Don Lemon, host of CNN Tonight, is America's only Black prime
time anchor. In This Is The Fire: What I Say to My Friends About
Racism he sets systemic racism and injustice and political ineptitude
within the context of the (hopefully) waning pandemic. He senses a
"transformative energy" that has the potential to end White
Supremacy. But he's also aware of the cunning of those who are
determined to maintain the status quo and the fickleness of public
passion. He warns us that unless we bring commitment and hard work to
reform this time won't be any different that all the other times
opportunities for real change were squandered.
For prose nonfiction This Is The Fire is amazingly poetic. It
blends historical events and reflections on them, personal events, and
commentary on cultural artifacts such as movies and monuments with a
passionate call to arms. We can't go back to our pandemic normal.
Each of us has a role to play in transforming our nation.
I have a short attention span for sermons. Ask Pastors M & M.
But This Is The Fire is so engaging, so spellbinding, so insightful,
and ultimately so important that if Lemon was delivering the book in
this format I'd sit through to the end on the edge of my seat...
...even without the benefit of coffee.
Lemon believes that after this historical moment of truth each
of us will face these assessments:
"I had an opportunity to know, and this is what I chose to
believe.
I had an opportunity to speak, and this is what I chose to say.
I had an opportunity to act, and this is what I chose to do."
If you don't want to regret squandering these opportunities,
you'll find This Is The Fire to be a most excellent source of insight
and inspiration.
On a purrrsonal note, I hope you had a good weekend. I did. Saturday
while Eugene was in Winterport I spent hours weeding, thinning, and
watering in the garden. We had a good crew. John gave us farmers
market peanut butter cookies. I was able to glean more library
books. And it didn't start to get muggy until the afternoon. I
brought home local organic salad greens and beet greens. Sunday
Eugene went to Winterport. Again. I was a little disappointed
because I'd wanted to go for a ride. But it was a good thing Tobago
and I went to zoom church instead. I got to hear Pastor Malcolm talk
about Poor Peoples Campaign and tell everyone about the speech I
made. That was very satisfying. Now we're in a heat wave for at
least a couple more days. (Jules)
It iz much too hot!!! Time to find the coolest place in the house and
nap. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all who are determined not to
squander the opportunity.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment