Friday, June 25, 2021

Different: A Great Thing to Be!

Different: A Great Thing to Be!

Picture book
Here's a scenario all of us who are parents have experienced.
You're out in public. Your child asks a question about someone who is
different from your friends and family in some way. Maybe the person
uses a wheelchair or has a large birthmark or is a different color.
You know there is no malice behind the question, just plain
curiosity. Children come programmed to explore sources of difference
and sameness. It's part of the process of making sense of a big,
complex world.
But in the out in public, maybe rushed, moment all that is no
help. You don't want to embarass the person your child is asking
about. You may fear using the wrong words. You may think the people
around you are deeming you a bad parent. Talk about awkward.
You have a power you may not realize. You can discuss
difference preemptively at home.
Heather Avis' Different: A Great Thing To Be! is a priceless
resource for households for young children. Its narrator tells the
story of her friend, Macy, a lively and appealing child who can swim
underwater, loves her pet dog, is in hip-hop class, and prefers to
wear blue clothes. There are ways in which she's different. Some
kids reject her because they think she's too different. But Macy is
persistent and wins over her peers. At the end readers are encouraged
to embrace their differences and affirm those of others.
This is a book I wish had been around decades ago. When I was
eight I had to wear an eye patch for a year. It was the first time a
lot of kids had seen anything like that. When they tried to ask their
parents questions and were hushed they thought there was something
really wrong with me. It got to the point where I dreaded leaving the
house.
I would recommend this book for anyone with young children in
the family. It's a must acquire for school and public libraries.
Think of what a great story hour choice it is for diversity loving
librarians.
On A purrrsonal note, I hope you've been having a great week. I sure
have. The weather has been purrrfect. Yesterday I spent nearly all
day reading and writing reviews outside with my laundry sun drying.
I'm super excited because NPR is going to feature a piece I wrote
(along with a picture of Tobago) in one of their newsletters. Now
that is something to look forward to. (Jules)
People all over the country will see me. But don't worry. It won't go
to my head. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to you, our readers, with best wishes
for a terrific weekend.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment