Monday, June 7, 2021

Bee Fearless: Dream Like A Kid

Bee Fearless: Dream Like A Kid

Juvenile Memoir
When she was 4 1/2 Mikaila Ulmer, upon being stung by bees on
two separate occassions, was ready to boycott going outside. Her
parents wisely urged her to learn more about the creatures she was
afraid of. In the process she learned that they are seriously
endangered in a world that desperately needs their presence. She
decided to sell lemonade to raise money to help save the bees and
educate people about their plight. By fifteen she had become wildly
successful.
Her narrative consists of two interconnected strands. One is
her really interesting experiences. The other is a very well
organized compilation of the kind of advice that will enable kids (and
other people who think like kids) to turn passions into actions. Very
few of us will navigate Shark Tank or meet and greet the president.
But most of us can at least make a difference where we live.
Bee Fearless is a must acquire for public and school libraries
and a really good read for kids, families, and adults who haven't
forgotten how to think like kids in terms of possibilities rather than
all that could go wrong with big, bold ideas and dreams.
It was the ability to think like a kid that made me be
fearlessly determined, in my sixties, to put my all into applying to
the grad school of my dreams rather than listen to the chorus of
naysayers.
On a purrrsonal note, Saturday Eugene took off early (as in before I
woke up) to do some fishing and sleep over at camp. So I was worrying
that I might have anything other than "The weather is hot." for my
today's purrrsonal note. As if! Sunday my church was having its
first in person service since oh, snap, pandemic. It was outside in
the ampitheater behind Orono Public Library. I thought I'd walk the
about five miles. But Eugene got home and gave me a ride. It was
flower Sunday which is always special. And people were so happy to
see friends they hadn't seen in ages. One big celebration of
community! (Jules)
It is too hot. Some of us haz fur coats. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to everyone who worked on the service,
especially those who kept everyone hydrated with ice cold water.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment